Planning Your Treatment
Once you have decided that plastic surgery is something you would like to investigate further, you may be unsure how to progress. As with any significant undertaking, successful plastic surgery is achieved by careful and well-considered preparation. Below is a guide to assist you in planning your treatment.
- You will need to visit your general practitioner or medical specialist to obtain a referral to Mr Andrew Ives. If the procedure you are interested in is classed as cosmetic, you will not require a referral but Mr Ives likes to keep your local doctor informed of your care so it is also advisable to arrange a visit to your general practitioner in this situation.
- Mr Ives holds plastic surgery consultations in his Melbourne and Windsor rooms. Consultations are friendly and professional but it is necessary for Andrew to ask some questions of a personal nature, depending on the procedure you are interested in. These questions are asked to ensure your safety and the most successful outcome possible, so it is important to be honest and open when answering them. You can be assured that your privacy will be respected and any information you provide is treated with the utmost confidentiality. During your first consultation, Mr Ives will discuss:
- Your reasons for wanting surgery and the results you hope to achieve
- Your medical history
- Surgical options available
- Possible risks and complications
- Mr Ives will also need to examine you in order to advise what he believes to be the best surgical option to achieve the results you desire. He is an experienced professional and all examinations are conducted respectfully.
Understanding your procedure
- It is crucial that you have a good understanding of the procedure recommended for you. If you have not fully understood the procedure, you may be unhappy with the results or surprised by any risks and complications that could arise. Some plastic surgery procedures cannot be reversed, so your surgeon will be unable to restore your body to its former condition. If you do not understand aspects of the procedure that you have discussed, are confused by terms, or require clarification on any other point, Mr Ives and the team are available to speak or consult with you as many times as you require to put your mind at ease prior to your procedure.
Booking your procedure
- If you decide to pursue surgery, Mr Ives or a member of his team will discuss an appropriate date for surgery with you and the procedure will be scheduled. At this time, Mr Ives’ team will advise you in more detail of the costs you can expect to be associated with the surgery, including hospital and anaesthetist fees. If you have private health cover, you should consult with your fund to find out what is covered by your policy.
- Once your date had been confirmed, Mr Ives’ team will contact you to let you know what time you need to arrive at the hospital, and fasting time. During this period you must not eat or drink (‘nil by mouth’).
- On the day of your procedure, you will need to check in at reception at the time organised by Mr Ives’ rooms. Mr Ives’ will see you prior to your surgery either in the anaesthetic bay or at your bedside to ensure you are comfortable and to perform any preliminary markings prior to surgery. If it will be necessary for someone to drive you home after your procedure, you should check with Mr Ives as to when you will be ready for collection.
- Whichever procedure you undergo, you will need to return to Mr Ives’ rooms for a post-operative appointment approximately one week after surgery. If you are not local to Melbourne, you may consider arranging accommodation for the period between your surgery and your post-operative appointment. At this appointment, Mr Ives will assess your recovery, discuss ongoing post-operative care and answer any questions you may have. Your safe recovery is just as important as the procedure itself, and Mr Ives and his team remain available to respond to your queries and concerns after the post-operative appointment.
If you are ready to book your first consultation, please contact us and one of the team will respond to your query.